Sports at EOHS
- Year 7-8 is intermediate
- Year 9-10 is junior
- Year 11-13 is senior
Intermediate Netball is played at the Edgar Centre in Dunedin on a Thursday afternoon. We currently have two teams entered it this competition.
Intermediate Basketball is called Miniball and is played at the Edgar Centre on a Monday evening. We have two mixed sex and age teams competing in this competition.
Our intermediate eleven aside hockey team play on a Friday evening at the Turf at Logan Park in Dunedin.
Rugby for this age group is played through the Eastern Rugby Club on a Saturday morning. Basketball at secondary school level within the school is very strong. We have a Senior Boys team, a Senior Girls team and a Junior Boys team that all play in Dunedin on a Friday night. We also have a Junior Girls team that plays on a Tuesday night.
On Saturdays at the Edgar Centre two Senior Basketball teams compete against Dunedin Teams. Because we have a lack of Senior aged players, our very talented year 9-10 students also play at this senior level.
We have a Senior Hockey team that travel to the turf in Dunedin on a Tuesday evening to play. This team is also a year 9-13 team entered in the Senior competition and they are very competitive at this level.
Our partnership with the Eastern Rugby Club has allowed 28 of our boys to play in either the Under 15 or Under 18 colts grade in the secondary schools competition on a Saturday. We also have several girls playing for a combined secondary school team in the women’s Wednesday night competition.
Athletics is very strong at East Otago with several students belonging to the Hill City Club. We are investigating the possibility of starting our own local club for the coming season. Sixteen athletes are heading to the National Secondary Schools Athletics Champs in December.
Intermediate Volleyball is played on a Friday evening at the Edgar Centre in Dunedin. Juniors and Senior Girls play on a Friday and Senior Boys play on a Monday evening.
Cricket is available through the local clubs. Last season we had an intermediate team, some juniors that played alongside an Oamaru team and several senior cricketers playing for either Waikouaiti, Palmerston or Macraes club teams. We also have school teams enter in a secondary schools year 9-10 competition and seniors enter in the Gillette Cup schools competition.
Several sports are offered through local clubs including golf, squash, shooting and bowls. We also have a number of representative students at a very high level.
- Year 11 Student Courtney Duncan is the National Motocross Champ in the 85cc 13-16 years division
- Year 10 Student Paige Church will be representing NZ at the Trans-tasman High School Rodeo Champs in Australia later this year
- Year 10 Student Kawana Tokona was placed second in the under 58kg under 16 years division at the National Secondary Schools Wrestling Champs in April
- Year 10 Student Courtney Martin is the current record holder and number one thrower in both the under 14 girls discus and shotput at the South Island Secondary Schools Champs
- Year 10 Student Sam Porter is the 1st placed javelin thrower in the South Island Secondary Schools Champs under 15 boys division.