Cultural Activities at EOHS
East Otago High School has a strong tradition of cultural activities carried out by the students and enjoyed by the community.
At East Otago High School there is a thriving Kapa Haka group. They meet every Wednesday at form time to learn Waiata, poi, and taioha. Extra practices are negotiated near festival times. East Otago High school is the host school for the Kaupapa Festival. Seven local primary schools between Waitati and Palmerston, and inland to Macraes gathered to celebrate and perform waiata, haka, taioha, poi and legends.
- All students have the opportunity to join. Our present Kapa Haka group is around 20 students.
- Last year the group were outfitted in new performance uniforms.
- Due to strong student commitment the Kapa Haka group continues to improve.
- The group are involved in formal occasions at the school. An annual formal welcome is extended to our visiting Japanese students.
- All training has the support of the local marae.